- Yields: 3 Loaves
- Preparation: 85 Minutes
- 2 1/2 cups (625mL) all purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp (4mL) ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup (75mL) sun-dried tomatoes, drained and chopped, reserve 2 tbsp of oil
- 1 tbsp (15mL) shortening, room temperature
- 2 garlic cloves, cooked in boiling water for 15 minutes, drained, peeled, and mashed with a fork
- 2 eggs, beaten lightly
- 1 1/4 cups (300mL) buttermilk
- 1/3 cup (75mL) pine nuts, toasted lightly
- 1/2 tsp (3mL) dried rosemary
- 2 tbsp (30mL) parsley leaves, fresh, minced
- 1/2 cup (125mL) scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup (250mL) SALERNO - Provoloncino, grated
- 1/2 tsp (3mL) baking soda
- 1 1/4 tsp (6mL) salt
- 2 tsp (10mL) baking powder
- In a large bowl sift, together flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
- Add the Salerno Provoloncino Cheese, scallions, the parsley, rosemary, pepper, and sun-dried tomatoes, and toss the mixture well.
- In a small bowl whisk together shortening, the reserved sun-dried tomato oil, and sugar until the mixture is smooth, and add the garlic, eggs, and buttermilk. Blend mixture until well combined.
- Add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture with the pine nuts and stir the batter until it is just combined.
- Divide the batter among 3 well-buttered 5 3/4- by 3 1/4-inch loaf pans, smoothing the tops, and bake the loaves in the middle of a preheated 350 F oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.
- Let the loaves cool in the pans for 5 minutes, loosen the edges with a knife, and turn the loaves out onto a rack.